Hairstyles, Hair Care & Fashion

Growth Patterns & Chemical Straightening

Q: Thank you for having the time to reply. I like my hair short; are chemical straighteners only any good if you have long hair? I guess you need a few centimeters of hair to be of any use? You say my problem is pretty common; do you know of any websites that show such things (i.e. pictures, etc)? You also said that cosmetic surgery could turn that portion of scalp; is this surgery a big thing? And is it costly? Again, thank you for your time its just I get a little paranoid about it.
A: In your case, dealing with an unusual growth pattern in the hair, as long as you have at least a few centimeters of hair to work with, you can use a chemical straightener, to help "force" the hair into the direction you prefer. Obviously, the longer the hair is, the easier it is to see notable results, since it would be easier to manipulate the hair at longer lengths.
The problem of hair streams and abnormal growth patterns is pretty common, though yours may be more severe than others.
Again, cosmetic surgery would be one option if your doctor felt your case warranted such an extreme measure, and would likely be an expensive proposition, comparable to other surgical procedures like face-lifts and such.
All in all, try not to let yourself get too worked up over the issue. Our society places a lot of undue importance on specifics of appearance and the rules of what is or isn't "in" are constantly changing. Try to keep yourself focused on what you like and what makes you happy, and you'll be far better off in the long run.
Related posts:
Permanent hair straightening
Is it possible to change your hair follicle direction?
Is it possible to straighten very short hair?