Opposite of Charlie Chaplin Moustache

Moustache and beard
Photo: Wavebreakmedia/Shutterstock
Q: Okay, you seem to know a lot about moustaches, seriously. Anyway, I am wondering what you would call a moustache that is the opposite of the toothbrush (as found on Charlie Chaplin) - everything but the center, the section where the indentation under the center of the nose is.
The moustache is almost like eye brows under the nose, two sections but no connection in the middle. On some men this is a natural occurrence. I'm serious, is there an official name for this?

A: My research has revealed no specific name for a mustache style that leaves the philtrum bare. {The philtrum is the name for the indentation above the upper lip and beneath the nose.} You are correct in that some men's mustaches grow without covering the philtrum naturally.
And there are those professions where a man with facial hair is required to maintain it at a certain level of shortness (law enforcement, emergency services, some corporations, etc.) and the individual will opt to clearly define the two "halves" of the mustache.
It is likely that such a style developed as a result of attempts to keep such "side-swept" mustache looks as the Pencil mustache and the English Mustache well-defined. It may also have been a simple matter of one over-zealous mustache trimming sparking a trend at some point in history. This is the way many trends and fashions in personal grooming come about.
I'm sorry I'm unable to give you a name for a mustache with a bare philtrum, if any of our other readers out there know of a name for this style of mustache, please feel free to contact us and let us know it.
See also:
How to grow a moustache
Stylish looks for men's faces
Basic styles for moustaches and beards