How to Style Beach Waves for a Long Bob
Click to enlarge
1. What you will need:
a. Bobby pins
b. Hairspray and heat protection product
c. Flat iron/ medium to large barrel curling iron
2. Note that we’re working with dry hair in this style. It is usually easier to work with hair that has been washed the day before. This is because the sebum or very thin oil layer that is distributed by the hair follicle makes the hair cling to each other to a limited extent, resulting in easier styling and stronger hold.
Click to enlarge
3. Draw out a section at the base of the neck with the sharp end of your tail-comb. This section should preferably be about two inches wide. Clip the rest of the hair on top of the model’s hair with a clip in order to secure the rest of the hair as well as keeping it out of your way.
4. Spray the hair with a heat protection spray before you ever apply any form of heat to the hair. Use your flat iron to create the curls. Clamp and twist the flat iron in a 180 degree manner and gently slide the iron towards the tips of the hair to create the uniform row of curls.
If you are unfamiliar or uncomfortable using the flat iron to create curls, you may also use a curling iron to achieve the curls. Once you have fully completed this section, spray the curls with a medium to strong hold hairspray to ensure that the curls retain their form and structure.
5. Loosen the hair that you have secured on top of the head, and draw out your next two inch section to curl. Again secure the hair that you won’t be working with now by clipping it out of the way.
Gently use your fingertips and separate the first section that you’ll be curling along this row of hair. Repeat the method as stipulated above, again taking care not to disturb the already created curls. Note that we curl the whole row of curls in the same method and in the same direction to create this hairstyle.
Take care not to disturb the curls that you have already created along the bottom of the model’s head. Spray the curls with a medium- to strong hold hairspray when you’ve completed this new row of curls. Spray the curls with a medium to strong hold hairspray when you’ve completed this new row of curls.
6. By the next row you should reach the area that will be spanning along the back half of the circumference of the model’s head. Take special care not to burn the model along the hairline and the ears. Draw out your section in a square shaped form, so that you have even solid lines to work with. Clip the rest of the hair on top of the model’s head, to ensure that it does not obstruct your working space.