One of the most fascinating aspects of modern day dressing is that we can hide to a large extent any feature of our shape or size
which is undesirable to us. All that we need to do is use certain techniques and select only well tailored clothes to do so.
Jackets are one such example of clothing which can go a long way in giving a sense of proportion to the outline. A jacket can make
small shoulders look broader or a heavy waistline can be made to look less heavy if the jacket fits you in right areas. A short
jacket is a wonderful tool to camouflage unwanted bulges.
Following are a few guidelines on how to select and wear jackets in such a way that you donít look fat.
• First, the obvious one, avoid too tight jackets that emphasize all the wrong
places. Select only the jackets that fit and compliment your figure. This however
does not mean that you opt for loose/ill fitting jackets; they will make you appear
heavier than you actually are.
• A high collared jacket isnít just striking but also gives an illusion of extended
length to your neck, brings out the jaw line and dresses you up.
• Choose dark or neutral color jackets over brighter or lighter ones. Lighter colors
appear to add volume, something you wouldnít need. Black is always the safest
color in this regard.
• Try to use the same color trousers/skirt as the jacket, as that focuses the eye on
your vertical aspect and removes the emphasis from the width of your outline.
This creates slim look.
• If you must wear striped jackets, then forget about wearing horizontal stripes as
that brings attention to your width. Go for vertical stripes, which have the opposite
• A casual jacket with a chunky bow tied right over your tummy, i.e. in case your
tummy is on the heavier side, would again help in hiding this aspect of your figure
to a large extent.
• Never go for a jacket that finishes at the bulkiest part of your physique. For
example if you have a heavy waist, it would make sense to go for a jacket that
ends up below your waist, similarly if hips are your issue than go for the jacket
that covers the hips.
• Creating contrasts can bring out the best of your outline. For example, a tight
figure fitting tee shirt underneath a loose and unbuttoned long length jacket
creates a slimming look.
• Finally, donít be shy to flaunt your best bits. If you think you have a great bust but
no so great waist, then wear your jacket and the blouse or shirt underneath in
such a way that attention is focused on your bust and not on the waist.
So itís amply clear that with intelligent and well informed choices, a jacket is a great piece of clothing to make you look slimmer.
However, having said that I must quickly add that much more important than these Ďsolutionsí is to maintain a positive attitude and be proud of your body.