pixel
 You are here:  Home  ›  Hair Questions  ›  Questions about Highlights  › 
pixel
hairstyle Hairfindertrademark graphic
Hairstyles, Hair Care & Fashion
 
pixel
pixel pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
try on hairstyles
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
ask hair questions
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel
pixel

Bleach and Chemical Burns

Q: About a month and a half ago, I went to a hair salon to get bleach highlights put into my hair to lighten it so I could eventually go blonde (my hair was dyed black before). As she put on the bleach my head started to burn and it was immediately washed off, this wasn't the first time I have had bleach on my hair and I dye it regularly, so I knew something was not right.
 
About an hour afterward, I discovered I had chemical burns on my scalp but the hair looked fine. My scalp is only just starting to properly heal now. I really don't like the way my hair has turned out and Iíd like to re-dye it as soon as possible. However, I have been advised by another hair stylist that I shouldn't put any kind of dye or anything on my hair for about a year because I might have damaged the hair follicle or something and my hair may fall out. My hair itself looks fine and not damaged at all. Is this an exaggeration? If it is how soon can I dye it?

 
A: Ok. There is always a very real concern that the hair follicle could be damaged by chemical burns from bleach if the wrong type of bleach is allowed to come in contact with the scalp. However, if the burns are severe enough to damage the follicle and cause hair loss, that hair loss will become evident relatively quickly (usually within a few weeks at the latest).
 
      What concerns me most is that the stylist either improperly used a type of bleach not intended to come in contact with the skin, or she failed to perform a patch test beforehand. Even with skin-safe bleaches that you have used previously, you can develop sensitivities to the chemical and have severe reactions. This is why patch tests are required. It is to prevent the kinds of burns you received. I would make sure that youíve reported the stylist to the salon owner/manager, or that you contact your stateís Cosmetology Board about the incident and report the stylistís actions. Then I recommend you find a new stylist.
 
      If after a month and a half, you havenít had hair loss, I think youíll be safe. However, I would suggest that you avoid any further chemical services until your scalp is fully healed. Once the skin is healed, and as long as your hair is in good condition, you should be able to get the services you were after all along.
 
©Hairfinder.com
 
 
Related posts:
 
Is bleach harmful to your health?
 
Hair bleaches and scalp irritation
 
Can bleaching and dying your hair cause brain damage?
 
What is the difference between emulsion bleach and powder bleach?
 
pixel
Home        News        Updates        Hairbooks        Virtual Hairstyles        Hairstyles        Hair Q&A         Sitemap        Privacy Statement        Disclaimer
Try on different hairstyles and hair colors