Q: I have grey hair (about 60%) and I went to the stylist the other day and she put on a blue paste with a blush (just like
you would to give highlights) but she put it all over and did not wrap. It brightened my silver and added shine. She told me it would
last 6 to 8 weeks. Do you have any idea what this product might be?
A: I’m sorry, but there’s really no way for me to be sure precisely what product was used. I can however tell you that virtually
every hair product company has some form of “Gray Hair” brightening product.
These are available as shampoos, conditioners, and color rinses. Some examples include:
• YvesRocherUSA’s Phyto Reflet Shampoo,
• Shiny Silver Ultra Conditioning Shampoo,
• Michael diCesare's Sterling Silver Shampoo and Conditioner duo
• PHYTO Phytargent Whitening Shampoo
• Clairol Shimmer Lights
• Peter Coppola New York Brass Out Shampoo and Conditioner duo
• Rene Furterer Okara Mild Silver Shampoo
• Framesi Biogenal Violights Shampoo
• Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo
• Roux Color Refreshing Rinse – Ultra White Minx
• Nirvana Hair Shampoo – Blue Malva
• Rusk Sensories Bright Shampoo
• Joico Color Endure Violet Shampoo
• Phyto PhytArgent Shampoo
• Pantene Pro-V Silver Expressions
And this is just to name a few of the brand names that carry gray-care products. This doesn’t even
cover those products by some of the more commonly used brands in salons and markets today (like Revlon, L’Oreal, Redken, Paul Mitchell, etc.).
Likely as not this was simply a conditioning treatment specifically for gray hair types, that
contained a bluing agent. It may be a product however that is only available for professional purchase and use, but you should be able
to simply call the salon or stylist and ask him or her what the product was that he or she used on you in your last visit.
If you’re looking for a product to help you keep the brightness and shine in your hair between
these treatments, try one of the products listed above. Many of these can be found online and can be ordered without having to leave your home.